It's not too early or to late to plan for 2011 taxes, below are some steps you can take to reduce your Arizona tax liability. Arizona offers several tax credits:
1) Credit for contributions to Private School Tuition Organization. You may receive up to $500 ($1,000 MFJ) in state tax credit by contributing to one of the many private schools or tuition organizations in the state. To see more information and find a list of qualifying organizations, click here: School Tuition Organizations for Individual Donations
2) Credit for Donations to the Military Family Relief Fund. Make a cash contribution of $200, ($400 if MFJ) and support our AZ Military Families in need. Visit the Arizona Department of Veteran Services website for more information.
3) Credit for Contributions Made or Fees Paid to a Public School. Make a cash contribution of $200, ($400 if MFJ) to an AZ Public School (K - 12th grade). Help support your local school or find a school that can use the financial assistance. You can search for schools by name on the AZ Department of Education website.
4) Credit for Contributions to Organizations That Provide Assistance to the Working Poor. Make a cash contribution of $200, ($400 if MFJ) to a qualified charitable organization. For more information and to find a list of current qualified organizations, click here. You must itemize on your Arizona individual tax return to claim this credit.
By choosing the above listed credit options, you can designate where your money is directed.
A few notes about these credits:
- may also qualify as charitable donations on the Federal tax return.
- the credits are non-refundable, meaning it will reduce your tax liability by the amount of the credit and any excess credit will not be refunded to the taxpayer.
If you have questions, you can contact the office and we can provide answers to your questions. The phone number is 602.494.7641.