As we approach the end of 2010, there are still many steps you can take to reduce your Arizona tax liability. Arizona offers several tax credits:
1) Credit for contributions to Private School Tuition Organization. You may receive up to $500 ($1,000 MFJ) in state tax credit by contributing to one of the many private schools or tuition organizations in the state. To see a list of qualifying organizations, click here: School Tuition Organizations for Individual Donations
2) Credit for Donations to the Military Family Relief Fund. Make a cash contribution of $200, ($400 if MFJ) and support our AZ Military Families in need. Visit the Arizona Department of Veteran Services website for more information.
3) Credit for Contributions Made or Fees Paid to a Public School. Make a cash contribution of $200, ($400 if MFJ) to an AZ Public School (K - 12th grade). Help support your local school or find a school that can use the financial assistance. You can search for schools by name on the AZ Department of Education website.
4) Credit for Contributions to Organizations That Provide Assistance to the Working Poor. Make a cash contribution of $200, ($400 if MFJ) to a qualified charitable organization. For a list of current qualified organizations, click here.
By choosing the above listed credit options, you can designate where your money is directed.
A few notes about these credits:
- may also qualify as charitable donations on the Federal tax return.
- the credits are non-refundable, meaning it will reduce your tax liability by the amount of the credit and any excess credit will not be refunded to the taxpayer.
If you are unsure about taking advantage of these credits, please give the office a call and a 2010 tax plan can be completed to determine your eligibility for these credits.
Be on the lookout for more tax items in the next few days/weeks.